“Taking over your family takeaway’s kitchen so you can cook for your new girlfriend”
So this soup recipe isn’t the fanciest but it was part of the first meal I had cooked for my girlfriend. What makes it even more special for us is that this is the only dish featuring coconut that my girlfriend likes… I’ve tried showing her others.
Like I said, it’s a simple soup. Besides the usual mirepoix ingredients and stock, there’s sweet potatoes and a block of coconut cream. Soup is a such a versatile thing; understand the method and you can create all sorts of soups.
The first thing to do is to roast the sweet potatoes to caramelise the sugars and draw out that flavour. The other vegetables can be sweated down in a saucepan before combining all the vegetables together in the same pot.
After the vegetables have been sufficiently sweated, the stock and bay leaf are added before leaving to slowly simmer. The longer it can be left to simmer the better, but so long as it simmers for at least 40 minutes it will be grand. Keep in mind that the more liquid you remove, the thicker the consistency of the soup will be.
Coconut cream has an unusually solid structure when you first buy it, but it can be broken down with your fingers and then added to the soup. It will look lumpy at the start (left photo), but given time and good stir it will be nicely incorporated into the soup, filling the air with a coconut aroma.
All that’s left to do afterwards is to blitz the soup up with either a soup gun or a food processor. Unfortunately I felt mine did not do a good job with catching all the bits so I passed my soup through a sieve at the end. Just remember to use this time to season the soup, having combined all the ingredients together.
Hope you all enjoy my recipe for Roasted Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup.
- ~750g sweet potatoes – diced £1.05
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 brown onions – roughly chopped £0.32
- 2 carrots – roughly chopped £0.12
- 1 stick of celery – roughly chopped £0.08
- ~750ml vegetable stock £0.29
- 1 bay leaf £0.05
- 150g creamed coconut £0.75
Total cost for 4 servings = £2.66 (£0.67 each)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cover the sweet potato pieces with 2 tablespoons of oil and place on to a baking tray. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Halfway through the potato cooking time, sweat the onions, carrots and celery with the remaining oil in a saucepan over a low heat. (~10 minutes)
- Add the sweet potatoes and bay leaf into the saucepan. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer the soup for at least 40 minutes.
- Stir in the creamed coconut until smooth.
- Pour the soup into a food processor or, using a soup gun, blend the ingredients together until smooth. Pass through a sieve if necessary.
- Serve with crusty bread.